Your rights as an employee

Your rights as an employee

Your rights as an employee

  • To work in a safe environment
  • Not be discriminated, bullied or harassed
  • Paid fairly
  • Receive leave entitlements (annual leave, sick leave etc)
  • To be made aware if you are working under an award/agreement
  • To know if there is a probation period (generally 3 months)
  • Be treated fairly

Shifts and holidays

  • You should start and finish your shift at the roistered time even if work is busy or quiet, unless you and your employer agree otherwise.
  • You should generally get a 30 minute unpaid rest or meal break after five hours work.
  • You can say no to working on a public holiday if you have reasonable grounds. What is considered reasonable grounds depends on the kind of work you do, along with your personal circumstances, including family responsibilities, and other relevant factor

Ending your employment

  • If you want to resign from your job you usually have to tell your employer in advance. If you don’t give your employer enough notice they may be able to keep some of your pay to cover the notice period.
  • If you are a casual employee your job may be terminated, by you or your employer, at one hour’s notice.
  • If your employer terminates your employment, they must do so for a lawful reason. You cannot be fired because of temporary absence from work due to illness or injury, for making a complaint against your employer, or because of your gender, race, country of origin, religious or political beliefs, marital status, or physical or mental disability.


Your employer should pay you at least the legal minimum rate shown in your award or agreement. Your employer can pay you more than the minimum rate, but not less. The current federal minimum wage (as at 1 July 2011) is $15.51 per hour before tax

Depending on your age you may be paid a junior rate. In most jobs you will be paid junior rates until you turn 21.

You should be paid at least once a month and receive a pay slip within one working day of being paid.

Your employer may pay you in cash, by cheque or bank deposit.

Read more about minimum wages in Australia at


If you work in Australia as an international student, and are paid $450 or more in a calendar month, you may be entitled to superannuation. Your employer will make a deposit in your selected fund. You may be eligible to receive your superannuation when you permanently leave Australia.

When you leave your employment, make sure that you have been correctly paid for all the work you have done.

Contact us to Study in Australia.

WordPress Lightbox